Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, IHM
Founded: 1845 by Mother Theresa Maxis Duchemin and Father Louis Florent Gillet, CSSR.
Purposes: Personal sanctification. Also teaching, nursing and administration of such.
Habit: Habit of blue serge with scapular with black veil. Scranton and Philadelphia provinces wore a darker blue than Michigan. Scapular was creased once down the middle and three times across. A crucifix was worn about the neck and a black rosary ending in a gold Miraculous Medal was attached at the waist.
Some interesting notes: Mother Theresa Maxis Duchemin was initially a member of the order of the Oblate Sisters of Providence, a historically African-American Order. She was herself of mixed ancestry and was the daughter of unwed parents. Duchemin eventually left the order to found the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Later, she exiled herself from this order due to complications arising from ecclesiastical authorities and the establishment of missions in Pennsylvania (Scranton and Immaculata). Duchemin lived with the Grey Nuns for several years until she was eventually welcomed by one of the established houses in Pennsylvania. She lived here for the last seven years of her life. Mother Theresa Maxis was originally buried in St. Agnes Cemetery in West Chester, PA but her remains were later moved to a cemetery for the sisters located on the grounds of Immaculata University.